Monday, November 14, 2011

A milestone for my buddy !!

This post has been in the mind, waiting to see light for quite sometime now. Wanted to write a bit about my good buddy for one year now - My Red Beast - My Avenger !!
Its been my companion in rain and in sun; in joy and in sorrow; in long lonely journeys and happy moments alike. Guess that seems too much of a patronization for an inanimate object - my friends often complain this too.. but I cant help my feelings 

Frankly speaking, I was not in much for this muscular monster when I was on the lookout for a bike. My bro had been influential partly in me finalizing on it. I had zeroed in on Honda Dazzler and had even made the bookings for it. But then, he convinced me that it was small and not quite suiting my personality. He wanted me to go for Karizma rather (his dream bike). I took his first advise, cancelled Dazzler and booked Avenger instead. The excessive plastic body as in Karizma or a ZMR did not appeal me much.It was then that I laid my eyes on this metallic beauty. Solid body, cool cruiser style and unique on the road - Feel like God - as the caption goes (I hesitate to use this caption here as it sounds blasphemous)

Needless to mention the bike has been tastefully made and I have grown to like and admire it over the period. The drive quality is great and I have realized that even a small hiatus of couple of days makes me long to drive. I had slight apprehensions about control on busy roads and parking in crowded places but thankfully, all it requires is a bit of hands on to get used to :)  Monsoons are what my bike dislikes the most - puddles of water, bumpy roads and the consequent risks of rusting. Though it has the luxury of getting a wash once every two days when it rains. 

I remember the first days last year when it was still a small baby, there were heavy monsoon rains and it inadvertently got wet. To my despair, I suddenly realized there were specks of rust on the silencer and in my desperation, I had washed it (with water again) only to see the specks grow in size and area. Experts came to my rescue and prescribed anti rust sprays and solutions which helped me in preventing the situation going from bad to worse. Henceforth, it has come a long way from its baby strides (at speeds <45 kmph for around 2000km) to now tearing the winds apart. I have had a couple of memorable rides to Mahabalipuram, and to Pondicherry and innumerable short rides within the city. With 4 services done (3 free and one paid) and having clocked 10000 KM, my friend keeps getting better and continues to amaze with a 40 plus mileage. Way to zoom buddy


No comments: